Guilford High School Checklist
Parking –Parking options for visitors at the new GHS building include:
- Visitor parking spots - painted red in small lot in front closest to New England Rd - to access, enter large parking lot closest to tennis courts and take immediate right
- Bus circle - in front of main entrance - it is OK to park here ONLY if you are visiting any time between 8:00 am and 1:45 pm
- Student parking spots - ONLY if you are here last period of the day and there is a white painted spot available in the front main lot
Entry - Please come in through the main entrance facing New England Rd. Please ring the bell for entry and let the administrative assistant know you are here for mentoring. Once you enter the building, you will be inside the main office and they will direct you to our area which is in the back right corner of the main office area.
Mentor Badge – Security is a major concern at all Guilford Schools. Please remember to wear your badge. If you forget it, you can obtain a visitor pass.
Sign In and Out - As you head back towards our office space, on the counter to your right is the mentoring clipboard. Please be sure to sign in and out of the building.
Meeting place – Once you have signed in, you can spend your time together anywhere within school boundaries, inside or out. We have three meeting rooms available for mentors and students.
- Room A223 with two comfortable chairs plus a table, window faces New England Rd
- Room A224 with two comfortable chairs, interior
- Room A225 also with two comfortable chairs plus a table, interior
Planning and Scheduling - During their first meeting, mentors and mentees should discuss the routine for setting appointments and contacting each other.
- Many mentors/ mentees are comfortable doing this on their own using cell phones/ texts/ or email to communicate. If you choose this option, please just let us know your plans by either sending an email / calling our office or logging into our calendar. If you choose to log into our appointment calendar, let us know and we will provide you with a link and instructions.
- Others prefer to set up appointments through our office - stop by one of our desks on your way out so we can set something up on our calendar for the following week OR call / email us to set something up, we ask that you give us at least 24 hours notice so that we have enough time to check in with the student.
- IMPORTANT NOTE ABOUT ABSENCES: We ask that mentors / mentees establish steps to take if something comes up on the day of the appointment ...there may be an all school assembly... a student may unexpectedly need to use their free time to work on an assignment or take a test ... a mentor may have something come up at work.. one of you may be out sick that day... a planned agreement to text/email each other or contact our office would be helpful in these situations. Our office makes every attempt to check attendance of students listed on our appointment calendar but mentors are allowed to call Kim Nelson in the Attendance Office to check on their own. Her number is (203)453-2741 Ext. 1227.
Bell Schedule / Letter Day Calendar - Mentors will be provided with copies. We operate on a 4 day letter calendar, A through D. Students are enrolled in 8 classes each semester. There are 6 class periods per day so 2 periods are dropped each day. You may also access this information on the school district website using the links below.
Letter Day Calendar
School Calendar –Mentors will be provided with a copy. Usually no meetings take place on shortened days, but it’s up to each mentor and student to decide that. On shortened days, the bell schedule will be different. You may also access this information on the school district website using the links below.
Early Dismissal Bell Schedule (please scroll down to bottom of page for early dismissal info)
Snow Days – Please consult GCTV Channel 19 (if you’re a Guilford resident and have access to this cable channel), local TV channels, 453-8200 or the Guilford Public Schools district website for information about school events, closings, 90 minute delays and schedule changes (e.g. which periods are dropped on days with delays). We will make every effort to send an email with this information. The letter day calendar at GHS will not change due to snow days.
In the event of a real emergency or drills:
- Fire - An alarm will sound. If you are in the mentoring area, please exit the building through the exit doors closest to our office, just outside and to the left of our area then proceed to the student parking lot If you are with a mentee during a fire drill elsewhere in the building, please follow the routine of the closest classroom and have the student report to the nearest staff member with a radio so that he/she will not be listed as missing.
- Lockdown - An announcement will be made. If you are in the mentoring area, please move into one of our two interior rooms and try to sit where you cannot be seen through the window in the door. If you are elsewhere in the building, please follow the routine of the closest classroom. Once the following announcement is made, it is safe to come out "Mr Whitfield has left the building." Any other announcement is false and you should remain sheltered in place.
Lisa Ott: email@example.com Mon, Wed, Thur
Simona Nerney: firstname.lastname@example.org Tues, Wed, Fri
Lisa MacDougald: email@example.com